8.01.2013

Style Inspiration: Natalia Vodianova

To be completely honest with you, I didn't know that Natalia Vodianova existed until ajourd'hui. But, when I stumbled upon this gem of a photo on vogue, I knew that I had struck gold, and lace, and sequins, and all else that is completely stylishly fabulous.

As I was searching for photos I realized that this woman has a truly iconic style. There are plenty of people in the world that know how to dress; Some people like it classic, others are experimental, and some are completely feminine. And there are people that make each style extraordinary.

But there is something about Natalia Vodianova that inspires me, that makes hopeful, that reminds me that fashion is a form of art and a type of expression that is pure and can transcend superficiality. For those that say fashion enables corporations to oppress people and contributes to our society's consuming materialism, I say this: there is more to style than clothes. When we choose an outfit we choose an identity. We can represent our past and our future, our attitude, our values, our desires, our political beliefs, all through our clothing. Style is unifying, style is beautiful. Cultures are shared, explored and realized through garments and patterns. Fashion is art for a reason- it is meaningful.

Yes, bad things happen because we buy too much clothes and care about what we look like too much. But don't blame consumerism on style, that would be like blaming diabetes on baking.

Maybe that last metaphor was a bit of a stretch.

Without further ado, here is Natalia Vodianova, in all her artistic glory:









Have a fantastic weekend, readers! 
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment